Welcome to #REKT

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Saga Raid Montages HD Reupload (CHT, Czak, Toad, HT, and more)

Discussion in 'Screenshots & Videos' started by Atziluth, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Can't connect? Please click here for a list of resolution steps.
  1. Atziluth

Atziluth Socialite

IGN:
    Niravadhi
    (Click the link or title of each video for fullscreen features. Click the gear to set to 1080 px resolution. Recommended for optimal experience :D)

^ Link for full features: https://vimeo.com/584724569
    _____________________________________________________________________________

^ Link for full features: https://vimeo.com/584579659

^ Link for full features https://vimeo.com/584563389

Hi everyone,

As some of you might know, YouTube purged nearly all private server-related content last month due to a lawsuit from Nexon.

I had some montages that combined raid footage, music, and casual recordings of life on saga, events, hanging out, and so on. They were fairly popular (had a couple thousand views) and had a ton of editing put into them. They captured a lot of memories and the highlights of Saga's gameplay.

Fortunately, I still have the files, and I reuploaded them to Vimeo, which hosts videos at a higher quality anyways. Realistically, I know there won't be as many viewers on this platform, but that's okay. I primarily made these videos as works of art. I wanted to make videos like this since I was a kid, and it was enough to bring those visions to fruition with my full effort.

I'm reposting them for anyone who didn't see them the first time, or anyone who wants to re-watch them. Sometime during the weekend, or next week, I'm going to add director's commentary-type descriptions to the videos, in case anyone was interested in how I did the edits, or what they mean to me personally. I'll bump the thread then.

Anyways, enjoy. :f17:

#1 Atziluth, Aug 11, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    wl88 likes this.
  2. Atziluth

Atziluth Socialite

IGN:
    Niravadhi
    Ok, here's the director's commentary for my first montage. It's kind of a think piece of what Saga means to me, combined with commentary on the video itself.

This is later than I intended to post it lol, but I figure this is probably just something people might come across while lurking the forums. It's not a post that anybody would be waiting anxiously for, which is fine with me.
    ___

Commentary for the Horntail, Zakum, and Scarga Montage (bottom vid in OP):

Getting into Saga was one of the highlights of my 2020. Even though the world was filled with sadness and fear, the silver lining was that playing Maple became such an immersive experience. So many of us were inside without much else to do. It was kinda like being a kid again, filling our days exploring this fantasy world, without as much distraction.

MapleStory isn't a 'perfect' game, and I know Saga can have its stress and drama. But despite that, the vibe of MapleStory resembles my vision of an idealized world, as silly as that might seem. It's the graphics, music, and simplicity, the feeling of safety, fun, and community. It felt really peaceful in contrast to all the chaos outside. I try not to look at it from an 'escapist' perspective. To me, it's more like the clear blue skies and landscapes in the game represented easygoing days that we could reminisce on, and inspire positive emotions that we could bring back to the real world beyond the game.

So I wanted to capture the highlights I had in Saga up to that point, and create a video like the Maple videos I used to watch as a kid, for fun and inspiration. All of the clips in this vid were from September 2020, and all of my videos were made with Sony Vegas and Free Cam 8.

This was the only montage I made with a 4:3-ish aspect ratio. I decided to make all my other edits widescreen, after I realized I could do that with selective cropping. Even though this gave the later montages more of a cinematic feel, I think the 4:3 aspect ratio of this first video gives it an authentically nostalgic vibe, since that's the original aspect ratio of Maplestory.

The edits for this video mostly consisted of selective crossfades and pans synced with the music, along with some reverse effects. I did pay a lot of attention to detail at some points, like syncing in-game screen shakes from skills and bosses with drum hits. With each video, I wanted to progressively see how far I could push the limitations of Vegas with a relatively simple medium. Later on, I decided to get super intricate with effects, but here I was still figuring things out and I kept it relatively simple and sweet. In a way, I do feel like that increased the nostalgic vibe for this first edit, since it resembles some edits from the original 2005-2009 era of pre-BB Maple YouTube.

Facebook